Sunday, October 21, 2007

Last Weekends Problem

Last weekend Kristine and I ventured up the North Shore. Both her and I really feel much more at home there. It's very country with small towns that are filled with great shops like in Hale'iwa (pronounced Hal-E-A-va). You can find anything from Mexican food and Thai food to surf shops, health food stores and shave ice parlors (shave ice is similar to snow cones). Every North Shore visit usually ends with a stop in this town to pick up some of the great food that is there.

Kristine and I utilizing the shade that the cliffs provide.

The main reason why we headed to the North Shore was that we both were feeling the need to go to the beach and I wanted to do a little rock climbing. Waimea Bay has a beautiful beach and some great rocks to boulder on. Bouldering is when a climber rock climbs without ropes and doesn't generally go above 15-20 ft. As far as the title to the post, it comes from the term "problem", which is what a bouldering route is called. Basically, you have to solve the problem to get to the top of the rock or boulder.

I just started rock climbing. I bought a pair of rock climbing shoes a few months ago and I have only been out twice. Both times I have attempt the same problem at Waimea to no avail. I still don't have the grip strength to hold on the the small holds at Waimea.

Pondering the many complex issues that I have to deal with...haha yeah right!

Well, Kristine and I are off to go hiking. Check back soon for a post about the hike.

1 comment:

Pete said...

Hey Jut, bouldering sounds like fun. Not for me, for you! I'll try to call you over the weekend to check in,
coach pete