Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Updates from the Aloha State!

Well, I know it has been a long time and I have been hassled, yes, hassled by even my most favorite family members to get back on the ball with my blog. So, with this post I will simply try to update what has happened since January.

First, I was fortunate enough to travel to the Big Island (Hawai'i) to meet up with my Aunt Kay and Uncle Joe and their friends Dianne and Vinny. The trip provided a much need break from teaching and was a nice escape from the over populated O'ahu. I had a feeling that the trip would be action packed and let me tell you, these 'ol folks know how to rock.

Our trip began with some intense waves and a little body boarding session near the Kona Airport. We followed that up the next day with a 3 hour quad tour in Waimea Valley. Flying 25mph through Eucolyptus tress and stopping at some of the most pristine swimming holes and views made the trip well worth the doe. Below are some pictures.


Uncle Joe, myself and the tour guide swimming in King Kamehameha's personal swimming hole. Burrr!


Watch out for these guys! Vinny, Dianne, Uncle Joe, Me and Aunt Kay overlooking Waimea Valley, Big Island, HI

Since there trip I have been coaching the track team with some great results. The kids can be tough to deal with out here, but nothing makes me more happy than seeing people drop there times every time that they step out onto the track. I was proud of them.

Also, I did a triathlon out here. Doing a tri out here is like running a distance race in Ethiopia or Kenya. It's tough! In my first one I got 15th placed and had the fastest run out of everyone, even a professional. Go me! It's been hard to keep the training up with teaching, coaching, and trying to sell these T-Rollers that my friend makes.

Well, not to be out-classed by anybody, Mom and Courtney made the 5,000 mile journey to visit for a week. It was really great to see them and for once I don't think I heard them bicker at each other! They hit up the beach every day and even went to the infamous Swap Meet at the Aloha Stadium not once, but twice. I was sad to see them go, but I will be seeing them soon enough (June 19th). Here are some pictures from their visit.


Me, Kristine, Mom and Courtney at Waikiki.


Courtney at Lanikai Beach. One of the most gorgeous beaches in the world.


Oh yeah, how could I forget. We also saved a dog. She was lost and the owner did not want her, so instead of risking giving her to the Humane Society, which apparently euthanize the dogs after a certain amount of time, we kept her. Her name is Tramp (was her name w/ previous owner) and she is a 1 year old German Shepherd. She is the sweetest dog and really adds the much need lovin' that we miss from being so far away from everyone.


Super Tramp!



This is me winning a 7 mile trail race in a course record time!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man every time you post pictures of Hawaii it's alwasy so beautiful? Do you ever get tired of that? I feel like I could live there forever and never get bored. That's pretty cool that you beat a professional in the running part of the tri. Looks like you can change professions if the need were to ever occur haha. I hope your teachings going well and I'm glad to hear that you became a coach and are enjoying it!

Ms. S. said...

Thank you.

Justin said...

It is def. a nice place to live. I just which Hawaii was located where Long Island is then I would be close to everyone.

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Just,
I can see that everything is ok and with a nice place like that I’ve got the impression you’re on holidays all the year haha. 15th placed for your first tri, it’s a pretty good performance. Keep going.